Industrial Strength just put this behemoth back up, on bandcamp!
How about... instead of a review, a story? Or, a review, told as a story?
Okay, so let us rewind, right back, into the deep past.
I was thirteen years of age, it was 1994, and the techno/rave wave was sweeping across Europe.
*Everyone* talked about Techno, Trance, House music, all night parties, the drugs, the crimes, old folks and news anchors lamented the "misled" teenagers and the perceived threat by this "criminal" form of music towards German youth.. while the youth on the other hand, enjoyed this style of music and style of living, very much.
In connection to this, another thing got constantly mentioned, and that was Hardcore & Gabber. At the same time, unlike for the Trance, Dance, "Rave" stuff, there was an almost 100% media curfew and blackout for this form of music (only in Germany, eh?). And, without the widespread internet and video web sites and all that modern convenience, it was very hard for a person to dig deeper there.
Yet as I slowly advanced in age, I grew more and more curious about this "Hardcore" sound, that was mentioned by everyone & their dog. I asked my rave friends and acquaintances about Hardcore & Gabber, most of them told me "It sucks when you listen to it at home, but it's great music when you are at a party and on the dancefloor!". Because they apparently only enjoyed Gabber when out & raving, they did not have any EPs and albums I could listen to.
And frankly, back then, I was too much of a p**sy to sneak out at night, defy home rule, find a way to get beyond the door, and go to these 18+ all night rave parties (like a lot of teenagers actually did).
(fast forward two years, to 1996)
But there was also german television, with very long advertising breaks in between programs and movies, advertising hair care products, or new car models, or home appliances. and they also showed advertising clips for CD compilations like Thunderdome, Terrordrome, Braindead... and one ad that stood out for me was for a new CD called "Industrial F**cking Strength". Oddly enough, even though it was on german TV, it was all-english, while the Thunderdome Ads were dubbed, and the terrordrome braindead etc stuff was from germany anyway.
The TV slogan "the nastiest hardcore gabber compilation ever" had an immediate appeal to me, so I went out, to the next shopping mall, and bought the "f**cking" CD.
back at home, listening to the Cd in one go from start to finish, and ouch, I was really, really, blown away.
it does not start that hard actually, even felt a bit mild... but once I passed tracks like "mad as hell" or "gabber up your a**" i knew i was truly heading towards something good.
but, over the time, I grew very, very fond of this compilation, and I guess it was the first *really hardcore* release i bought & owned. (and yeah, it's really, really hardcore!)
How about... instead of a review, a story? Or, a review, told as a story?
Okay, so let us rewind, right back, into the deep past.
I was thirteen years of age, it was 1994, and the techno/rave wave was sweeping across Europe.
*Everyone* talked about Techno, Trance, House music, all night parties, the drugs, the crimes, old folks and news anchors lamented the "misled" teenagers and the perceived threat by this "criminal" form of music towards German youth.. while the youth on the other hand, enjoyed this style of music and style of living, very much.
In connection to this, another thing got constantly mentioned, and that was Hardcore & Gabber. At the same time, unlike for the Trance, Dance, "Rave" stuff, there was an almost 100% media curfew and blackout for this form of music (only in Germany, eh?). And, without the widespread internet and video web sites and all that modern convenience, it was very hard for a person to dig deeper there.
Yet as I slowly advanced in age, I grew more and more curious about this "Hardcore" sound, that was mentioned by everyone & their dog. I asked my rave friends and acquaintances about Hardcore & Gabber, most of them told me "It sucks when you listen to it at home, but it's great music when you are at a party and on the dancefloor!". Because they apparently only enjoyed Gabber when out & raving, they did not have any EPs and albums I could listen to.
And frankly, back then, I was too much of a p**sy to sneak out at night, defy home rule, find a way to get beyond the door, and go to these 18+ all night rave parties (like a lot of teenagers actually did).
(fast forward two years, to 1996)
But there was also german television, with very long advertising breaks in between programs and movies, advertising hair care products, or new car models, or home appliances. and they also showed advertising clips for CD compilations like Thunderdome, Terrordrome, Braindead... and one ad that stood out for me was for a new CD called "Industrial F**cking Strength". Oddly enough, even though it was on german TV, it was all-english, while the Thunderdome Ads were dubbed, and the terrordrome braindead etc stuff was from germany anyway.
The TV slogan "the nastiest hardcore gabber compilation ever" had an immediate appeal to me, so I went out, to the next shopping mall, and bought the "f**cking" CD.
back at home, listening to the Cd in one go from start to finish, and ouch, I was really, really, blown away.
it does not start that hard actually, even felt a bit mild... but once I passed tracks like "mad as hell" or "gabber up your a**" i knew i was truly heading towards something good.
once i came to "c*** face" and "extreme terror", i actually had to take the CD out and take a break! i was seriously shocked by this amount of terror & violence in the tracks.
Guess i really was a p**sy back then.
Guess i really was a p**sy back then.
but, over the time, I grew very, very fond of this compilation, and I guess it was the first *really hardcore* release i bought & owned. (and yeah, it's really, really hardcore!)

No comments:
Post a Comment