Monday, May 1, 2023

Interview with Aneurysm Recordings

There have been some very interesting developments in the global hardcore underground in recent years. New parties. artists, and labels appeared... fresh and bold ideas, concepts, visions get merged together with those from earlier days that stood the test of time... it's a very interesting era to be in for hard electronic music again.

One of these contemporary labels is Aneurysm. The label was created in 2020. While it's rare for any label to still release vinyl, it's even more special when a new label focuses mainly on vinyl releases (amongst the countless of labels that get created each year that are "digital only").
And even more so when it's a label with such exceptional releases like this one.


But, let us not use much more words; because the mastermind behind Aneurysm will tell us the story behind the labels and releases himself.

So here it is, our interview with Andrea Cozzaglio.

When did you start Aneurysm? Why did you start Aneurysm and what are the ideas behind it?

First of all I would like to thank The Hardcore Overdogs for the interest in my project and the exposure you are offering. 
After the experience of working for various years on the No New Style!!! project, I felt that it was time to change and that I was ready to to take a new path that fully expressed myself. 
The idea of starting Aneurysm Recordings came up toward the end of 2019, but only the year after I was able to lay down the foundations (what better thing to do during a lockdown?)
For this new project I was inspired by all the labels that formed my musical culture and that truthfully represent the underground scene.
I am talking about Praxis, Fischkopf, Stormcore, Bloody Fist, Drop Bass Network, Widerstand, Loop Records. This is just to mention some for the list is very long. 
Placed at the center of this project are the artists themselves, their art is the focus which is sustained by passion, dedication and the acknowledgment of working on something special.

Is Aneurysm focused on a specific sound / style of Hardcore?

I do not want to put a label, well, on my label, or project as it is. On the opposite, I would like to surprise my public with each release.
If you had the chance to listen to the first 4 releases you can notice the wide variety of sounds and genres presented, very different indeed from each other.
Being such a big fan of all the sounds found between Richie Hawtin’s Detroit Techno and the experimental speedcore of La Peste, I would say that our target is vagueley placed anywhere between the two. 

3 of the 4 vinyls (released and planned) were by legendary producers of the 90s. Is that the main direction behind the label? Or will we see more releases by newer producers, too?

Most likely yes, this is the direction. 
However, I cannot completely exclude the possibility of giving space to younger talented producers, but at the moment I see Aneurysm Recordings as a space for more ‘matured’ and experienced artists. 


You put out a vinyl by Disciples of Belial. Why did you choose them? How did you get into contact with them? 

I believe that Jason Mendonca aka DOB is one of the most loved and at the same time mysterious artist of the hardcore scene: he produced 5-6 records (under different names) then he practically disappeared. 
I got in touch with Jason around 7 years ago through a common friend, the great Brandon Spivey.
DOB played at one of our party back in 2017 and we remained in contact since then. 
After a long and enthusiastic ‘flirt’, he finally accepted the offer of working with me. 
This was the coronation of a lifelong dream… I did not sleep for 2 days for the excitement. I am very proud to be the creator of this project and for his comeback after 27 years of absence from the scene. 

What can you tell us about the DoB release?

This record is a true blast from the past and I believe it has nothing to envy to the previous releases on Praxis records. Part of the sounds used for the production of these tracks is unreleased material from the 90s specifically chosen and edited for this project. 
On the A side we find two tracks that resemble the gabba style, with engaging rhythms and psychedelic sounds. Basically, Jason’s emblematic style. Both of them have a very strong impact on the dancefloor. 
On the other side we find only 1 track, Stare Into the Abyss. This track differentiate itself from the previous productions. It possesses a darker soul with a punk accent, it also plays a lot with bpm changes. Under some aspects this track reminds me of The Berzerker pre-grindcore sounds. The vinyl was pressed in March 2022 and with its 666 copies it is the best seller out of the first releases. 


Afterwards, there was a release by Taciturne.
What was your reason to release a record by him? Where you already in contact with him?

Why Taciturne you ask? Well, we are talking about a living legend. He produced, Mourning… Who would not like to work on a record with him?!??!
I was able to contact Jorg aka Taciturne a few years ago through his Bandcamp page. Back then I asked him for an unreleased track for a compilation. He sent me the entirety of his discography and simply told me: ‘you chose’. 
I was immediately-immensely grateful and appreciative of his generosity and humbleness, and found the same fantastic person in the years that came after. 

What can you tell us about this release?

We can probably write a whole book on this release. 
Jorg mentioned that he wanted to work on some new project, something he had in mind since the mid 90s but that he was never able to actualize and produce. 
After some time he told me that he was ready to send me the tracks: I was firstly positively dumbfounded, I have never had heard something similar before then.
I was faced with an incredibly fast composition (all tracks are over 300 bpm) yet, I could not define it as speedcore. Speedcore is usually a brutal genre with violent sounds, while this production with its ethereal and dreamlike sonorities it almost puts you in a relaxed state. It is as if you are in a dream, or in better words, a nightmare with your eyes open. 
To give a visual representation I would personally define this record as the audio counterpart of Zdzisław Beksiński’s paintings and masterpieces. If you know this great artist, you know what I mean, if not, google it!
This record was released in February 2023 and limited to 400 copies. 


Now, there is an upcoming release by Ingler aka Laurent Hô. Similarily, what can you tell us about the background?

Ingler is one of the most eclectic and brilliant artist of the Hardcore Techno scene! Not many other artists have had a similar success as Dj, producer and Label owner. Right off the bat I can only think about Mark Newlands or Dj Freak who have had a similar success and influence… although I am definitely forgetting somebody. 
I was able to get in touch with Hô toward the end of last year thanks to my friend Nicola Pedrocco aka Koney, which was recently released on Epiteth Rec. Hô was very enthusiastic about my proposal since the beginning , but he was also incredulous that somebody was still interestes in his music. On the other hand, I was even more baffled by the fact that his tracks were uploaded on YouTube for some time but nobody has ever asked him to release them. 
Personally this is significantly satisfying, I also wish that the record will be as appreciated by the fans and the industry insiders. 

And what can we expect of this release?

This EP is composed by a total of 3 unreleased track form the mid 90s. Only the track named Kohl appeared before on the 1998 CD compilation Explicit Bass Drum Vol 2. This track, in my opinion, is also emblematic of Ingler’s production style. Noisy sounds, industrial and experimental notes are the characteristics that define this production. Obsessive rhythms and sharp sounds emerge throughout the EP... it is basically as if you were to take a walk through a steel factory. 
The EP will be limited to 333 copies and will be officially released and launched at the HardTraxx part on May 20th 2023 ( https://www.facebook.com/events/1874535982911456/ ).


Are there already plans for the near future? Any further releases lined-up?

The artists’ list that I wish one day I will collaborate with is significantly long. I’d like to take the chance with this special interview to announce the fifth Aneurysm Recordings release, in which we will find a collaboration between Brandon Spivey (Drop Bass network / Praxis Records / Killout recordings) and Federico Chiari (Go More Core / Traumahead Society records).
Right during these past few days I listened to some of their demo tracks, and I can assure you it will be a very very interesting release. 

Any sublabels, etc.?

Yes, indeed! The project is already in the making and hopefully will be a reality in 2024. 
The idea is to have 2 artists for each release, 1 side for each. 
Nothing new concept wise you might say, but in this way I will have the possibility to give some artistic space to some of my undeniably talented friends such as Hotrebor, Tannoizer, Shrui-Khan.

Are there any party series, venues etc. connected to the label?

Not in this moment, but it is something I have been giving some thoughts to.
Who would not love to see shows from legends such as DOB, Taciturne or Ingler?
It would be incredibly cool to organize a couple of European tour dates in 2024, maybe with the help of some Dutch, English or German crews. People of Europe, if you are reading this, bring it on!


How do you see the Hardcore scene of today?

If you want I can tell you about the Italian underground scene because it's the only one I know well and have been frequenting for years. 
As for the parties I have to say that we are not in a good moment. After 2 years of forced closures due to covid, the scene has undergone a significant decline in terms of participants: if before you met 200 people at parties, in recent times there are about half. As an event organizer with the Hard Traxx project, but also speaking with other staff, I can tell you that everyone finds themselves dealing with increasingly smaller budgets and unfortunately also with the concrete possibility of not being able to fully cover the expenses. 
The positive fact remains that we can consider ourselves as a family: a group of friends who share the same great passion for music. 
Let's move on to the positive notes instead. In the last 2-3 years we have witnessed a real explosion of labels, and therefore the increasingly overbearing return of vinyl as an audio format. Among the most influential labels and releases I would like to mention: Narkan Records with records by HCM and Pardonax, Piss Drunk Records with KCMA, Hotrebor and Nico303, the release of T.O.T.A. & Dj Raf on their label P.S.M.I. and finally Redecesio Underground with an interesting various Made in Italy. I hear Traumahead Society Records is also working on a new EP.

What do you think is the place of Aneurysm in the Hardcore "world" of today? 

I believe that Aneurysm Rec. is located exactly in the same space that once was of labels like Epiteth, Bloody Fist, Fischkopf, Crapshoot, etc. I don't cockingly presume to say that we are at their same level but unfortunately it is a fact that many of the labels I mentioned, if not all, are now defunct. The underground movement needs fresh forces….and we are here!

Do you want to have a positive / radical impact on the scene with the label?

We were born just over 2 years ago but I won't hide from you that I am very satisfied with the results obtained so far. I think releasing Disciples of Belial was a crucial moment for the label: the record was a huge success and people started to get interested in my project. Will this have impacts on the scene? We'll find out in a few years, in the meantime I keep working hard!


Anything you want to add?

Yes, I want to thank all the enthusiasts, friends and distributors who support me and my label. Rest assured that Aneurysm Recordings will never let you down. 
I would also like to give special thanks to: Silvia, my partner, who always supports me. 
Hotrebor who takes care of the masters and who always gives me excellent advice. 

Diego and Francesca for the great support and amazing graphics.

Thanks for the interview, Andrea!

More information and resources:


No comments:

Post a Comment